why we're looking for you
Retool is scaling quickly, with 4,000+ customers today and plans to more than double headcount in 2022. To support this growth and help us achieve our long-term vision to change the way software is built, we are building a world-class Data team. This team will serve as Retool’s “source of truth”, ensuring we maintain scalable data infrastructure, leverage data to shape critical business decisions, and democratize data by making it accessible throughout the organization. We are looking for an experienced leader who can build a high performance data team that drives business impact and will help strengthen a rigorous, data-driven culture at Retool.
what you'll do
As Data Lead, you will drive and lead the data functions at Retool, including Data Engineering, Analytics, and Data Science. You will define our long-term data strategy and infrastructure roadmap so that we have the high-integrity, reliable data we need and that it is easily accessible.
You and your team will also build dashboards and other reporting tools so that we can monitor the health of the product, go-to-market organizations, and operations teams. We will also look to you to drive strategic analyses across the business, taking advantage of sophisticated modeling techniques where appropriate.
Finally, a successful lead will develop processes and build strong cross-functional partnerships to ensure that the team is working on the highest-impact projects. Given the small size of the team today, you will be expected to roll up your sleeves while you build out your team.
who you'll work with
The Data Lead will report to the Head of Finance, sitting alongside other core strategic and data-driven functions, including Business Operations, Finance, and Accounting. This is a high-visibility and highly cross-functional role and you will partner with leaders across the business on their mission-critical analytical projects.
in this role, you'll:
- Lead Retool’s Data team, recruiting, hiring, empowering, and coaching a high-caliber team of data engineers, analysts, and data scientists
- Define the long-term vision for data at Retool, developing a roadmap to ensure the team is working on the highest-priority projects and delivering business impact
- Ensure that Retool’s data foundation is performant and scales with business needs
- Define KPIs that we will use to measure business success, make sure we reliably track them, and provide visibility via dashboards and other reporting tools
- Conduct ad hoc analyses around critical business areas, identifying new opportunities and shaping strategic decisions
- Develop strong partnerships with stakeholder teams across the business, from Engineering and Product to Go-to-Market to Operations
- Serve as an evangelist for high-quality, data-driven decision making at Retool
the skillset you'll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, such as computer science, statistics, engineering, math, or equivalent education/work experience. Advanced degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience, in data field or similar quantitative roles with increasing responsibility and strong track record of technical competency
- 3+ years of management experience, ideally with data or analytics teams
- Strong SQL and data modeling skills, with experience applying skills to thoughtfully create data models in a warehouse environment.
- Hand-on knowledge of ETL and data warehouse technologies (i.e. dbt, BigQuery, Redshift, Airflow, Snowflake).
- Advanced proficiency in SQL, programming/scripting languages (e.g. Python, R) and expertise in statistical and analytical models and applications
- Strong communication skills and ability to concisely convey complex concepts to a range of audiences with varying technical backgrounds
- Experience in a B2B SaaS context preferred, ideally with exposure to Self Service and Sales-driven GTM models