why we're looking for you
Retool is scaling quickly, doubling headcount since the beginning of 2021, with plans to grow significantly in 2022. To support this growth and help us achieve our long-term vision to change the way software is built, we are looking for an experienced Payroll Manager who can help us build out processes for this mission-critical function.
what you'll do
As Payroll Manager you will be responsible for managing all aspects of Retool’s payroll and benefits administration, as well as overseeing state payroll filings and related compliance work. You will identify opportunities for streamlining processes and upgrading related systems, while ensuring we continue to deliver a high-quality employee experience. As the company grows, you will play an integral part in the company’s global expansion, helping establish payroll processes in new jurisdictions and identifying new payroll providers, where appropriate.
who you'll work with
You will join as a founding member of the Accounting team and will report to our Controller. You will work closely with other members of the Finance and Accounting teams, as well as key cross-functional stakeholders, including HR and other business partners to ensure that we are serving our customers across the business.
in this role, you'll:
- Design, manage, and document full-cycle payroll operations, making process improvements to drive efficiency
- Ensure the timely and accurate completion of payroll, auditing payroll before it is released for processing
- Work cross functionally with the Talent, HR and Strategic Finance teams, providing expertise on related payroll and benefits matters
- Serve as the primary point of contact for payroll and address employee inquiries
- Oversee reconciliation of payments for HSA, FSA, 401K and all company benefits
- Act as the payroll system expert, managing the system on a day-to-day basis, compliance with existing states as well as the addition of new states, and maintenance
- Partner with the HR team to ensure proper data integrity between systems
- Partner on the implementation of new technology to refine payroll processing
- Assist in overseeing the timely preparation, processing, maintenance and appropriate distribution of payroll information, payroll reports, and tax year-end reports to finance and accounting teams
- Apply knowledge of IRS regulations, as well as State taxes, wage and hour laws, and local tax requirements to ensure compliance.
- Assist in identifying risks and implementing a system of controls for payroll
the skillset you'll bring:
- BS/BA in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 5+ years of experience as a payroll manager at a fast-growth company
- Working knowledge of state and international payroll laws and practices
- Experience working with major payroll systems and data flows. Ability to learn and adapt to new process flows and software technologies
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and intellectually curious with ability to adapt and stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate the highest ethical standards, confidentiality with data, and integrity
- Proficient in Excel, including experience working with advanced functions (e.g., vlookups, pivot tables, IF statements)
- Familiarity with US GAAP accounting
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification a strong plus